7 Catholic Churches Around BACOLOD for Visita Iglesia
Visita Iglesia, the practice of visiting at least seven different churches on Maundy Thursday, is one of the most popular Holy Week sacred vows (or panata) that Filipino Catholics do. And often, we take this time to enjoy a bit of a road trip with the family. If you are planning to do a Visita Iglesia around Bacolod, here are seven churches that you might want to include in your list:
1. Chapel of Cartwheels
The Chapel of Cartwheels in Hacienda Rosalia was built in the 1960s. This small, unique place of worship is made from farm implements such as cartwheels, plows, mortar and pestle, margaha sand, and broken pieces of glass. It was patterned like a “salakot” or a traditional wide-brimmed hat. The altar is a huge centuries-old boulder, and the religious images are carved out of wood.
2. St. Joseph the Worker Parish
The St. Joseph the Worker Chapel (commonly known as the Angry Christ Church) is located inside the Victorias Milling Company residential complex in Victorias City. It was built between 1948-50 by the Ossorio family. The church is considered as the first example of modern sacral architecture in the Philippines, and was declared Important Cultural Property of the Philippines in 2015.
3. San Diego Pro-Cathedral
The San Diego Pro-cathedral is an early 20th-century church in Silay City. It was formerly known as the San Diego Parish Church or the St. Didacus Parish Church prior to its declaration as a pro-cathedral in 1994. It was established in 1776, with its first church built of light materials. In 1925, work began on a grander structure to replace the old church. It was completed in 1927.
4. San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish
San Nicolás de Tolentino Parish was founded on 1 January 1850, when the Augustinian Recollect Father Fernando Cuenca, as the first parish priest, took possession of the vast “cogon wasteland” named Minuluan.
5. San Sebastian Cathedral
The San Sebastian Cathedral is a late 19th-century baroque-style church in Bacolod City. The present structure was completed and inaugurated on January 20, 1882. It was consecrated in 1933.
6. Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
The Our Lady of Guadalupe Church is one of the oldest churches in Negros Island. It was built 1851-1852 by the Recollect Missionaries. It is made of coral stones.
7. Our Lady of Peace Parish
La Carlota City
The Our Lady of Peace Parish was built in 1870 using light materials (mainly bamboo and heath). The present structure, which is mainly made of coral stones and bricks, was started in 1876 and completed in 1877.
Lovette Jam is a founding member and blogger of Filipino Homes. She is a freelance digital media professional. With a Masters in Business Management degree and Hubspot certification on Inbound Marketing, she currently works as a social media manager, project manager, and digital consultant.
Lovette Jam is also the founder of Iligan Bloggers Society, Inc. She authors the travel blog Travel Jams and lifestyle blog Lovette Jam.