How to be a PRC-accredited Real Estate Salesperson
Under the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Real Estate Service Act of the Philippines (RESA; Republic Act 9646), real estate service practitioners include Real Estate Salespersons, who are “duly accredited natural persons who perform service for, and in behalf of a real estate broker who is registered and licensed by the Professional Regulatory Board of Real Estate Service (PRB-RES) for or in expectation of a share in the commission, professional fee, compensation or other valuable consideration.” [Rule I, Sec. 3-g (5)]
The law states that real estate salespersons are not required to pass a Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) qualifying examination, but they are to be accredited by the PRC after complying with a set of requirements.
The applicant must possess these qualifications:
- Filipino citizen;
- Must have completed at least two (2) years or 72 units of college education;
- Must be of good moral character and must not have been convicted with any crime involving moral turpitude; and
- Must have undergone training and seminars of at least twelve (12) credit units in real estate brokerage.
The following documents shall be prepared and submitted by the applicant Real Estate Salesperson:
- Original and photocopy of NSO Birth Certificate / Certificate of Live Birth.
- Original and photocopy of NSO Marriage Certificate / Contract (for Married female only)
- Original and notarized certificate of educational attainment on the completion of at least two (2) years of College.
- Original NBI clearance (valid).
- Original and notarized certification of twelve (12) credit units on Real Estate Brokerage.
- 1 x 1 photo on white background, with name tag below showing complete name.
- Community tax certificate (CTC) for the current year.
- Duly accomplished application form.
Following are the steps to be taken when applying as real estate salesperson at the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC):
- Submit the filled-up or accomplished application with documents for pre-evaluation to the Office of the Secretary, PRBs or of the Assistant Secretary, PRBs (3rd flr. Main Bldg.) at the PRC Central Office, and the Regional Office processing counters.
- Proceed to the cashier, for payment of fees Php600.00 (ground flr, Main Bldg).
- Proceed to the Customer Service Center for metered documentary stamp.
- Submit duly accomplished application form to the Office of the Assistant Secretary, PRBs (3rd flr).
- Verify the status of application at the PRC website: http://www.prc.gov.ph.
All registered and accredited real estate salespersons shall be issued identification cards and such registration shall be renewable every year on the real estate salesperson’s birth month.
Limitations and Restrictions
Real estate salespersons are under the direct supervision and accountability of a real estate broker. As a sub-agent under the agency of a licensed real estate broker, there are limits and restrictions of the practice of a real estate salesperson, including:
- Real estate salespersons cannot by themselves, become signatories to a written agreement involving a real estate transaction unless the real estate broker who had direct supervision and accountability over them is also a signatory thereto.
- No real estate salesperson, either directly or indirectly, can negotiate, mediate or transact any real estate transaction for and in behalf of a real estate broker without first securing an authorized accreditation as a real estate salesperson for the real estate broker, as prescribed by PRB-RES.
- A real estate broker shall be guilty of violating the new real estate law for employing or utilizing the services of a real estate salesperson whom he/she has not secured the required accreditation from PRB-RES prior to such employment.
- No salesperson shall be entitled to receive or demand a fee, commission or compensation of any kind from any person, other than the duly licensed real estate broker who has direct control and supervision over him, for any service or work done by such salesperson in any real estate transaction.